Qatar 2022: What bets to make for the USA?
by Kevin Richard | by Kevin Richard
Qatar 2022: What bets to make for the USA?
Four years ago, the USA failed to qualify for the World Cup finals. They made no mistake in qualifying for Qatar, though it wasn't the most convincing of performances. The draw for the group stage of the 2022 World Cup finals sees them up against England, Iran and Wales. It's not an easy group for the American side and if they are to make it to the knockout stages, they need to improve their away performances. They have a squad full of talented players and many with experience of European football. What bets should you be placing on them in the 2022 World Cup in Qatar?
Can the USA Win the 2022 World Cup?
The USA have only reached the quarter finals of the World Cup once this century. That was in 2002 when they were beaten 1-0 by Germany after finishing ahead of Portugal in the group stages. The Americans made it to the last 16 in both 2010 and 2014 but failed to qualify in 2018.
They didn't want to make the same mistake for this tournament in Qatar but only just clinched automatic qualification. The US finished third in the CONCACAF qualifying group but only on goal difference from Costa Rica who they lost to in their final game. Why the struggle? The answer is a simple one, they are pretty poor when playing away from home.
Their only away victory in the qualifiers was at Honduras, who finished bottom of the group without a single victory to their name. The other six away games produced just three draws and three losses. The most worrying statistic is that they only scored one goal in those six matches. Recently, they played away in El Salvador and needed a late goal to come away with a 1-1 draw.
Betting on the USA to win the 2022 World Cup isn't likely to win you anything. Unless they learn how to play better on their travels, it could be a difficult time for them in Qatar.
USA World Cup Fixtures
The USA have been drawn in Group B alongside England, Iran and Wales.
- Monday 21 November - Wales (played at Ahmead Bi Ali stadium in Al Rayyan)
- Friday 25 November - England (played at Al Bayt stadium in Al Khor)
- Tuesday 29 November - Iran ((played at Ahmead Bi Ali stadium in Al Rayyan)
What Bets to make on the USA team in the World Cup?
There are several bets that can be placed on the USA at the World Cup. While betting on them to become world champions isn't advisable, there are some winnable bets elsewhere.
It's possible to bet on the individual matches that the Americans have been drawn to play. Their opening game against Wales will be an emotional affair. The USA are back in the finals for the first time in eight years. For Wales, it's their first appearance since 1958 after winning their play-off games against Austria and Ukraine. The Americans are 2.5 at Bet365 to beat the Welsh side. That away form has to improve and they will be playing a Welsh side hugely excited about being in the finals. A draw is 3.2 at Bet365 and that was the end result the last time they played the Welsh.
Up next is the game against England, who they famously beat in the 1950 World Cup. The English side have had a few struggles of late in the Nations League with two losses to Hungary. A lot of work is needed by the English but the tiredness shown by some of their squad in June isn't likely to be present to such a high degree at the World Cup. An American victory is 5.5 at William Hill. That looks just about right
That will leave them with a final fixture against Iran. This is the one that could decide whether or not they go into the knockout stages. The Iranians were in the last World Cup and got a draw with Portugal but still lost in the group stages. Recent losses to South Korea and Algeria show their preparations for Iraq aren't going too well.
There is a decent chance that the USA can qualify for the last sixteen. Winning the group is 6.5 at Bet365. A better option may be to bet on them finishing second and qualifying for the last 16. That has odds of 2.25 at Betfair.
Did you Know?
- Since qualifying in 1990 for their first World Cup finals in 40 years, only in 2018 have the Americans failed to qualify for the main tournament.
- Only twice have the USA managed to win more than one game in the World Cup finals.
- Their best ever performance was in the first ever World Cup in 1930 when reaching the semi-finals.
- 2026 will see them co-host the finals with Mexico and Canada.
- After the recent set of games, Jozy Altidore has 115 caps.
More about 2022 FIFA World Cup
- All about Qatar World Cup 2022
- Where is the 2022 World Cup being played?
- Bookmakers: who will win the 2022 World Cup?
- World Cup 2022: our tips for getting started in sports betting
- How to bet on the 2022 World Cup?
- How to use the Cash Out during the 2022 World Cup?
- World Cup 2022: Which Continent will win in Qatar?
- What are the matches we must watch during the 2022 World Cup?
- Qatar 2022: What bets to make for Ghana?
- Qatar 2022: What bets to make for Cameroon?
- 2022 World Cup: Best Bets for Canada
- 2022 World Cup: Best Bets for Wales
- 2022 World Cup: Best Bets for Portugal
- Spain’s chances in 2022 World Cup
- 2022 World Cup: Best Bets for Germany
- Qatar 2022: What bets to make for the Netherlands?
- Qatar 2022: What bets to make for Brazil?
- World Cup 2022: What bets to make for Qatar
- Argentina in 2022 World Cup: Messi's swansong
- Qatar 2022: What bets to make for Australia?
- 2022 FIFA World Cup: What bets to make for France?
- 2022 Football World Cup: What bets to make for England?
- Qatar 2022: who will win the Golden Boot?
- 2022 FIFA World Cup: PL Players To Watch in Qatar
- On Which Channels Can You Watch the 2022 World Cup in the UK, South Africa and Nigeria?
- World Cup 2022: three big odds for the jackpot?
- 2022 Soccer World Cup: you can bet on these players
- World Cup records: what can I bet on?
- World Cup 2022 Betting Sites: the best Bookmakers
- Our 2022 World Cup prediction table
- How to compare all World Cup Teams?
- How will Europeans bet during the 2022 World Cup? (Infographic)
- World Cup 2022: All the best betting sites Offers and Promotions