Qatar 2022: What bets to make for Argentina?
by Yunchu Li | by Kevin Richard
Argentina in 2022 World Cup: Messi's swansong
In a football crazy country like Argentina that has produced players of the calibre of Maradona, Messi and Di Maria to name a few, have only won two World Cups in their history and this will feel like a travesty to football justice to their millions of fans. Their 36 year wait for a third title could be over as they bring brilliant form to Qatar and are on an unbeaten run of 32 international matches which includes a triumph in the Copa America as well. Argentina could not have hoped for a better draw in the group stages as they have Saudi Arabia, Mexico and Poland in Group C. They will be clear favourites to win this group and progress to the round of 16. What are the best 2022 World Cup bets that we should be making on Argentina?
Argentina among the favourites for the World Cup
Argentina are ranked as joint third favourites for the World Cup and on paper and current form it is not hard to see why. They will dearly love to shake off the bridesmaid title as they have lost three finals in 1930, 1990, and most recently in 2014. They have only failed to qualify for the global event four times in the tournament’s history. They qualified for Qatar by ending second in the South American qualifiers behind Brazil although they went through the gruelling 14 round competition unbeaten.
The obvious stand out player in their team is Captain and record 8 times Ballon d'Or winner Messi who is currently plying his trade with French Champions PSG. He joined the Parisian team in 2021 after 16 highly successful years at Barcelona where he played 778 games and scored an incredible 672 goals, had 305 assists and won every title available at club level in Europe. Another player that ranks as world class is Angel Di Maria who is currently playing for Juventus. The attacking winger has also played for Europe’s elite clubs like Real Madrid, Manchester United and PSG.
These two players are among the most experienced in the squad with Nicolas Otamendi another national team stalwart. Giovani Lo Celso and Rodrigo De Paul have become key parts of this team while Emiliano Martinez is firmly established as the first-choice goalkeeper. Another Martinez, Lautaro will be looking to partner Messi up front if he can stay injury free.
World Cup 2022 – Argentina’s Fixtures
Poland will offer the stiffest challenge to Argentina in the group with their talisman striker Robert Lewandowski being the biggest danger. Poland came through a European playoff route that saw them paired with England in earlier qualifying rounds. However, they are not the only threat, with Mexico also in Group C. The Mexicans had to settle for the runners-up spot in the CONCACAF region to get to Qatar but they possess plenty of firepower and will eye an upset in a meeting with Argentina on Nov. 26. The fourth team in the group is Saudi Arabia who are one of the lowest ranked sides in the tournament but they will also harbour hopes of upsetting the more established powers.
Their full schedule is as follows:
- Date Tue, 22/11/2022 vs Saudi Arabia at Lusail Stadium
- Date Sat, 26/11/2022 vs Mexico at Lusail Stadium
- Date Wed, 30/11/2022 vs Poland at Stadium 974
- How to bet on Argentina at the World Cup
Argentina will fancy their chances in the World Cup as they are arguably the form team entering the tournaments and Vbet have them at fairly decent odds of 6/1 to win the title. They are joint third favourites alongside France with the only countries with shorter odds being Brazil and England. They will open their campaign with an easy match against Saudi Arabia and it will be a major surprise if they don’t win this match convincingly. They are also expected to beat Mexico in their second match with their final group game against Poland the potential group decider.
Argentina are obvious favourites to win the group and this is highlighted by Bet365 having them as odds on favourites to be the group winner at 1.40. Poland are second favourites to win the group at distant odds of 5.5. In previous editions of the World Cup, Lionel Messi was among the favourites to win the Golden Boot award but this time round he is listed at 16/1 odds by Bet365 to be the leading goal scorer. Harry Kane at 7/1 and Kylian Mbappe at 9/1 are the bookies favourites but you can never discount the Argentinian maestro in his swansong tournament.
More about 2022 FIFA World Cup :
- Our free betting tips for your World Cup bets
- Where is the 2022 World Cup being played?
- Bookmakers: who will win the 2022 World Cup?
- World Cup 2022: our tips for getting started in sports betting
- How to bet on the 2022 World Cup?
- How to use the Cash Out during the 2022 World Cup?
- 2022 FIFA World Cup: Which Continent will win in Qatar?
- 2022 World Cup Schedule: The best matches
- Qatar 2022: What bets to make for Ghana?
- Qatar 2022: What bets to make for Cameroon?
- Qatar 2022: What bets to make for the USA?
- 2022 World Cup: Best Bets for Canada
- 2022 World Cup: Best Bets for Wales
- 2022 World Cup: Best Bets for Portugal
- Spain’s chances in 2022 World Cup
- 2022 World Cup: Best Bets for Germany
- Qatar 2022: What bets to make for the Netherlands?
- Qatar 2022: What bets to make for Brazil?
- 2022 World Cup : What bets to make for Qatar?
- Qatar 2022: What bets to make for Australia?
- 2022 FIFA World Cup: What bets to make for France?
- 2022 Football World Cup: What bets to make for England?
- Qatar 2022: who will win the Golden Boot?
- 2022 World Cup: PL Players To Watch in Qatar
- On Which Channels Can You Watch the 2022 World Cup in the UK, South Africa and Nigeria?
- World Cup 2022: three big odds for the jackpot?
- 2022 Football World Cup: you can bet on these players
- World Cup records: what can I bet on?
- World Cup 2022 Betting Sites: the best Bookmakers
- Our 2022 World Cup prediction table
- How to compare all World Cup Teams?
- How will Europeans bet during the 2022 World Cup? (Infographic)
- What are the best betting sites Offers and Promotions for the football World Cup?