2022 FIFA World Cup: Premier League Players To Watch
by Yunchu Li | by Kevin Richard
The English Premier League is undoubtedly the world’s most powerful football league and is considered by many to also be the most exciting and competitive. In addition to a number of the most popular clubs in football, it is also the home of arguably the largest aggregation of top footballing talent. Many of these exciting players will be in action for their respective national teams when the 2022 Qatar World Cup kicks off in November. In this article we’ll take a closer look at a few of the biggest names and most interesting storylines surrounding Premier League players at the 2022 World Cup, as well as the latest odds and potential bets from some of the internet’s top sportsbooks.
The Players: Who To Keep an Eye On
Cristiano Ronaldo: Portugal / Manchester United
First up on our list is the five-time Ballon D’or award winner Cristiano Ronaldo. The Manchester United forward is still a very important part of his country's national team even though he may have fallen out of the starting 11 under new club manager Erik ten Hag. After international success at the 2016 European championships which saw Portugal lift the title, perhaps the only thing now truly missing from Ronaldo’s glittering accolade list is a World Cup trophy. Triumph in Qatar would cement the 37-year-old as the greatest to ever play in many people’s eyes, ahead of even his peer and eternal competitive rival Lionel Messi. Ronaldo has not ruled out the possibility of competing in future international tournaments but as he will be 41 years of age by the time the next World Cup rolls around, we are likely looking at the legendary Portuguese’s last chance here.
Harry Kane: England / Tottenham
Next up is the captain of the Euro 2020 runners-up England and prolific Tottenham striker Harry Kane. The soon-to-be record top goalscorer for the Three Lions will be hoping to take his side one step further than their excellent 2018 performance in Russia which saw England eliminated in the semifinals by Croatia. Also the oddsmakers’ favorite for the Golden Boot award, a lot will be expected of the 29-year-old Kane in a competition where his England side once again find themselves as one of the pre-tournament betting favorites.
Kevin De Bruyne: Belgium / Manchester City
Undeniably one of the greatest midfielders to have ever graced the Premier League, Kevin De Bruyne has enjoyed unparalleled success in his almost eight years with the Citizens. The international stage, however, has been a different story. The fabled “Golden Generation” of Belgian football has come and, arguably, already gone without the Red Devils taking home any silverware. Belgium is the only national team to have topped FIFA’s rankings without having won a World Cup or continental trophy with their best finish a semifinal appearance at the 2018 World Cup. With some pieces of their golden generation still remaining including De Bruyne, Romelu Lukaku, Thibaut Courtois, and an admittingly out-of-form Eden Hazard, this could be the last legitimate opportunity the Red Devils have to take down football’s biggest prize.
Christian Eriksen: Denmark / Manchester United
A Danish team that has been a popular dark horse pick in recent years, the 10th ranked FIFA team in the world comes into Qatar 2022 in excellent form. Key to their chances is Christian Eriksen, who was reunited with former Ajax manager Erik ten Hag at Manchester United in the summer. The creative playmaker will be popular with supporters from every nation given the terrifying cardiac arrest he suffered in the middle of a Euro 2020 match against Finland. Eriksen was able to fully recover from the incident and has been a crucial piece of the Manchester United midfield with his ability to dictate the flow of the game. Eriksen will play an influential role as the primary playmaker in one of the possible variations of Denmark’s preferred 3-4-3 or 3-4-1-2 systems.
How To Bet Premier League Players in the World Cup
England’s Harry Kane won the Golden Boot award in Russia 2018 with six strikes to his name and comes into Qatar 2022 as the favorite to reclaim his title. Sites such as Vbet and Bet365 have the England captain at odds of around 7/1 to top the scoring charts in Qatar. It’s important to note that there has never been a back-to-back winner of the Golden Boot in the World Cup’s 92 year history. Can the deadly Tottenham striker be the first?
Cristiano Ronaldo’s name has to be mentioned when discussing the top goalscorer of any competition that the legendary Portuguese is a part of. CR7 has seven World Cup goals to his name in 17 matches and has amazingly managed to score in four different iterations of the famous tournament. Ronaldo is listed in many sportsbooks as the sixth-favorite to claim the Golden Boot award with very enticing odds of around 16/1.
While most sportsbooks don’t yet have odds available for the Golden Ball award at the time of writing, which is essentially the best player of the tournament, there are a few players on our list that could be excellent candidates. This award tends to favor the players that are the most influential in their side or act as a team’s talisman that puts together a deep run in the tournament. It’s an award that has been won by a goalkeeper and two midfielders in the last five World Cups with Oliver Kahn taking home the award in 2002, Zidane in 2006 and most recently, Luka Modric in 2018. It is the kind of award that Belgium’s Kevin De Bruyne was built for and the dynamic midfielder will surely be among the favorites when the odds are released. Denmark’s Christian Eriksen could also be a dark horse contender for the Golden Ball as the elegant playmaker plays a central role whenever De Rød-Hvide puts together a strong performance.
More about 2022 FIFA World Cup :
- Find out here everything you need to know about Qatar World Cup
- Where is the 2022 World Cup being played?
- Bookmakers: who will win the 2022 World Cup?
- World Cup 2022: our tips for getting started in sports betting
- How to bet on the 2022 World Cup?
- How to use the Cash Out during the 2022 World Cup?
- 2022 FIFA World Cup: Which Continent will win in Qatar?
- 2022 World Cup Schedule: The best matches
- Qatar 2022: What bets to make for Ghana?
- Qatar 2022: What bets to make for Cameroon?
- Qatar 2022: What bets to make for the USA?
- 2022 World Cup: Best Bets for Canada
- 2022 World Cup: Best Bets for Wales
- 2022 World Cup: Best Bets for Portugal
- Spain’s chances in 2022 World Cup
- 2022 World Cup: Best Bets for Germany
- Qatar 2022: What bets to make for the Netherlands?
- Qatar 2022: What bets to make for Brazil?
- 2022 World Cup : What bets to make for Qatar?
- Qatar 2022: What bets to make for Australia?
- 2022 FIFA World Cup: What bets to make for France?
- 2022 FIFA World Cup: What bets to make for Argentina?
- 2022 Football World Cup: What bets to make for England?
- Qatar 2022: who will win the Golden Boot?
- 2022 FIFA World Cup - Premier League Players to Watch
- On Which Channels Can You Watch the 2022 World Cup?
- World Cup 2022: three big odds for the jackpot?
- World Cup: Which players to follow for your sports bets?
- World Cup records: what can I bet on?
- World Cup 2022 Betting Sites: the best Bookmakers
- Our 2022 World Cup prediction table
- How to compare all World Cup Teams?
- How will Europeans bet during the 2022 World Cup? (Infographic)
- What are the best betting sites Offers and Promotions for the football World Cup?