2022 World Cup: Best Bets for Wales
by Kevin Richard | by Kevin Richard
Qatar 2022: What bets to make for Wales?
It's time to say farewell to one of the most painful statistics in world football. Wales hadn't qualified for the World Cup finals since 1958. Finally, they have put that statistic to rest by winning the World Cup play-offs and qualifying for Qatar. Now that they are in the finals, Wales will want to maintain their impressive recent record of qualifying and then getting out of their group. They take on England, Iran and the USA and will be hopeful of reaching the knockout stages. What bets should we be placing on them in the 2022 World Cup?
Wales aren't just there to make up the numbers
Wales have only played in the finals of three major tournaments. However, they have made it out of their group on each occasion. That includes the quarter finals of the 1958 World Cup and the last four at Euro 2016. They are a solid team and qualified by beating Austria and Ukraine in the play-offs after finishing second behind Belgium in their qualifying group.
Their squad includes Gareth Bale who has longed for this opportunity to play in a World Cup finals. He's now playing for Los Angeles FC in the MLS after leaving Real Madrid. Aaron Ramsey (above) is without a club at the time of writing but the former Arsenal and Juventus player is bound to find someone before the new season begins.
Those two players have stacks of experience and have featured in the past two European Championship finals. There's plenty more experience in their squad including Chris Gunter who has 109 caps (three more than Bale). Talented players such as Daniel James, Harry Wilson, Jonny Williams, Ben Davies and goalkeeper Ben Hennessy (another with over 100 caps) will make Wales a tough team to beat in Qatar.
World Cup 2022 - Wales fixtures
Wales have been drawn in Group B in the finals. All three of their group matches are going to be played at the Ahmad bin Ali Stadium in Al Rayyan. They are ranked 19th in the world so they do have a good chance of making it to at least the last 16 in Qatar. They are ranked four places above Iran and only five behind the USA. England are ranked fifth but don't always play like a side ranked that high in the world. All this means, Wales are not in Qatar to make up the numbers. They have the ability to get out of this group and a bet on that is recommended.
Their full schedule is as follows:
- Monday 21/11/2022 vs USA (Ahmad bin Ali Stadium, Al Rayyan)
- Friday 25/11/2022 vs Iran (Ahmad bin Ali Stadium, Al Rayyan)
- Tuesday 29/11/2022 vs England (Ahmad bin Ali Stadium, Al Rayyan)
How to Bet Wales at the 2022 World Cup
Current odds do not favour Wales to become world champions on December 18. Sites such as Bet365 and Vbet have Wales at 150/1 to win the World Cup. A much safer option is to bet on them to qualify for the knockout stages. They are widely available at odds of 11/10 to reach the last 16. Those odds put them almost level with the USA with England heavily odds on to get to the next stage.
Wales have a vital opening Group B fixture against the USA. This will be such a massive occasion for them but they have to get down to work right away. The USA are slight favourites to win the match but they have one major problem that can play into the hands of their opponents. They are extremely difficult to beat at home but their away form is appalling. Only one away qualifier was won and that was against bottom-of-the table Honduras. Scoring goals was a nightmare for them too with only two goals in their other six away qualifiers. Wales need not be scared at all of their opponents and odds of 15/8 on them to beat the USA have a good chance of success.
Iran are up next for Wales and again this is a match they are capable of at least drawing. Iran finished ahead of South Korea in their qualifying group but did lose away to the Koreans. They have never qualified for the knockout stages of the World Cup. If Wales can get a good opening result, then their confidence will be high for this game.
Their final game is an all-UK match against England. It's possible that England might have already qualified for the last 16. Then again, so might the Welsh team. If England have qualified, Gareth Southgate might leave out some of his best players. England have a good squad, so Wales won't find this easy and they will realise that to qualify, they must do well in their first two fixtures. Odds of 11/2 to win the group are decent value if their best players are in form. Wales were in the same group as England at Euro 2016 and although losing to them, won the group.
More about 2022 FIFA World Cup :
- 2022 World Cup: Our Exclusive Betting Tips
- Where is the 2022 World Cup being played?
- Bookmakers: who will win the 2022 World Cup?
- World Cup 2022: our tips for getting started in sports betting
- How to bet on the 2022 World Cup?
- How to use the Cash Out during the 2022 World Cup?
- 2022 FIFA World Cup: Which Continent will win in Qatar?
- 2022 FIFA World Cup Schedule: The best matches
- Qatar 2022: What bets to make for Ghana?
- Qatar 2022: What bets to make for Cameroon?
- Qatar 2022: What bets to make for the USA?
- 2022 World Cup: What bets to make for Canada?
- 2022 World Cup: Best Bets for Portugal
- Spain’s chances in 2022 World Cup
- 2022 World Cup: Best Bets for Germany
- Qatar 2022: What bets to make for the Netherlands?
- Qatar 2022: What bets to make for Brazil?
- World Cup 2022: What bets to make for Qatar
- Argentina in 2022 World Cup: Messi's swansong
- Qatar 2022: What bets to make for Australia?
- 2022 FIFA World Cup: What bets to make for France?
- 2022 Football World Cup: What bets to make for England?
- Qatar 2022: who will win the Golden Boot?
- 2022 FIFA World Cup: PL Players To Watch in Qatar
- On Which Channels Can You Watch the 2022 World Cup in the UK, South Africa and Nigeria?
- World Cup 2022: three big odds for the jackpot?
- 2022 Football World Cup: you can bet on these players
- World Cup records: what can I bet on?
- World Cup 2022 Betting Sites: the best Bookmakers
- Our 2022 World Cup prediction table
- How to compare all World Cup Teams?
- How will Europeans bet during the 2022 World Cup? (Infographic)
- World Cup 2022: All the best betting sites Offers and Promotions