Note: As this news is from the last World Cup, why not check out our opinion on Nigeria for your Women's Football World Cup betting, one of the sporting highlights of 2019!
Africa's Most Successful Team, Nigeria, Set for Tricky World Cup Challenge. How will they fair?
Nigeria sailed through the qualifiers to book a slot in the Russia 2018 World Cup, which is set to kick off on June 14 in Russia. The Super Eagles were the first team from Africa to qualify for the World Cup thanks in part to an interesting combination of young and experienced players. The team made it to World Cup finals after emerging top of Group B in the Confederation of African Football qualifiers, which also had Algeria, Zambia and Cameroon. The team remained unbeaten throughout the group stages as they progressed to their sixth World Cup finals. They will be one of five teams from Africa to play in the tournament, the others being Egypt, Senegal, Morocco and Tunisia. But the Super Eagles remain the most successful of the quintet in the tournament, having reached the second round in three previous editions.
The West Africans are known for their flair in matches and will be expected to give a decent attempt in the tournament, although it will be a tough challenge for them to rise out of the Group D, which also has Croatia, Iceland and Argentina. Gernot Rohr’s has never made it past the round of 16 since their entry to the tournament in 1994, but they are expected to give a good attempt in the first three matches.
World Cup 2018 - Nigeria's Schedule
- Saturday 16/06, 20:00 ( Kalinigrad ) - Croatia vs Nigeria
- Friday 22/06, 16:00 (Nizhny Novgorod) - Nigeria vs Iceland
- Tuesday 26/06, 19:00 (St Petersburg) - Nigeria vs Argentina
In the group, their biggest rival would be Argentina, against whom Nigeria have lost all of their previous meetings. But Croatia and Iceland are not push-overs, either, and it will take plenty of effort for the Eagles to muscle points from matches against them. Among the players on Rohr's squad and who are certain to leave an impression in the tournament are John Obi Mikel and Victor Moses.
World Cup 2018: The best bets for Nigeria
- Nigeria tops group D, odds of 9/1 at William Hill
- Nigeria to reach the quarter-finals, odds of 9/1 at Bwin
- Nigeria to reach the semi-finals, odds of 33/1 at Sportingbet
- Nigeria reaches the final, odds of 100/1 at Betstars
- Nigeria to emerge World Champions, odds of 150/1 at Bet-at-home
John Obi Mikel
Mikel, 31, is presently playing his trade in China after ending his career with English Premiership side Chelsea and will be the skipper for the Nigerian team in Russia, where his vast experience is bound to be an advantage. He is one of the most dependable forwards on the squad owing to his skill on the ball and his willingness to fight back after missed chances.
Moses, on his part, is speedy in the midfield and can turn any match into a class encounter. His versatility ensures that the Chelsea player can play well on the wing as well as deep in the midfield, whenever necessary. Together with Mikel, Moses is expected to help the team lodge great assaults against opponents in their matches. Take advantage of the 1000’s of £ worth of bonuses to bet on Nigeria
This may interest you too:
- England v Belgium betting
- Three big odds on the World
- Which continent wins at the World Cup?
- Who will qualify in the final?
- World Cup Calendar: the most beautiful matches
- Who are the favourites to host the 2026 World Cup?
- World Cup 2018: Our advice for beginners
- Which player will score the most goals in this year's World Cup?
- Cash Out - How to enjoy it during the World Cup
- 5 Great Highlights from the World Cup
- The Surprise Players to Watch in the 2018 World Cup
- World Cup: Who will be the top Scorer?
- World Cup: What is the betting on Brazil?
- World Cup: Who bets on Spain?
- World Cup 2018: How have the odds changed since the draw?
- World Cup forecast: Our Table
- World Cup Infographic - What You Need to Know!
- World Cup 2018: Best betting on England
- World Cup 2018: Which outsiders to bet on?
- World Cup 2018: All the best betting sites Offers and Promotions
- (Video) World Cup - A Look at England’s World Cup Hopes in Group G
- World Cup: What is the betting on Australia?