England Begin Their World Cup Show in Group G. How Are They Expected to Perform?
The English are likely to have an easy time as their counterparts in the group are not among the most fierce teams of the tournament. Harry Kane will lead the English team in the tournament, having been England handed the arm band by coach Gareth Southgate late March. Kane, who has had a great stint in the English Premier League with Tottenham Hotspur is expected to be among the tournament's leading scorers, based on his above-average scoring record in other contests. Kane was first named to the English senior team in a UEFA Euro 2016 qualifying match against Lithuania. He came in to replace Wayne Rooney and went on to score within less than two minutes of his entry. This great performance earned him more call ups to the national team culminating with him earning his first captaincy in June 2017, when he skippered England in their 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifier with Scotland at Hampden Park. He scored an added-time equaliser to rescue a 2–2 draw. Three months later, he scored an added-time winner against Slovenia to earn England a slot in the the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
World Cup 2018 - England's Schedule
- Monday 18/06, 19:00 ( Volgograd ) - Tunisua vs England
- Sunday 24/06, 13:00 (Nizhny Novgorod) - England vs Panama
- Thursday 28/06, 19:00 (Saransk) - England vs Belgium
- Where to place your bets in England's matches
What to bet on England?
The group stage should be a walk in the park for England, and it is highly expected that they should walk out with at least seven points. The only threat for them is Belgium, who are placed third in the Fifa World Rankings, a table in which England are placed 13th. Tunisia are 14th while Panama, arguably the weakest team of the group, are placed 55th in the world. Southgate is expected to do well in the group stage mainly because he has had a winning strategy that has worked well for him since he took over the team. In addition, he has the caliber of players that can win matches. Most of the players in the team are young and will likely display a strong teamwork effort in their matches. With Raheem Sterling and Kane on his side, the English team coach will be assured of a strong front line, leaving him with only the backline to ponder.
World Cup 2018: The best bets for England
- England tops group G, odds of 6/5 at William Hill
- England to reach the quarter-finals, odds of 8/11 at Bwin
- England to reach the semi-finals, odds of 5/2 at Bet365
- England reaches the final, odds of 7/1 at Betstars
- England to emerge World Champions, odds of 16/1 at William Hill
- Harry Kane to emerge top scorer of the tournament, odds of 16/1 at Bwin
Raheem Sterling could be one of the biggest scorers of the tournament. The 24-year-old will be playing his second world cup after making the team in 2014, during which time he was named the most impressive player in their match against Italy. Currently signed to English Premier League Champions, Manchester City, Sterling, who was born in Jamaica and later acquired English citizenship. Sterling started his career with Queens Park Rangers and later joined Liverpool. He went to win the 2014 Golden Boy Award by a group of sports journalists from across Europe, who named him the best under-21 player in the continent. A year later, he as named the most valuable player by a popular ranking agency, which had him valued at €49 million, and in July of the same year, he joined the Citizens on a £49 million fee, the highest transfer fee ever paid for an English player. He has made 37 appearances for the national team, having also impressed for the Under 16, Under 17 and Under 21 teams. On your behalf, why not take advantage of all the World Cup bonuses from betting sites to place a bet on your team?
This may interest you too:
- England Panama betting
- Nigeria Argentina betting
- Three big odds on the World
- Which continent wins at the World Cup?
- Who will qualify in the final?
- World Cup Calendar: the most beautiful matches
- Who are the favourites to host the 2026 World Cup?
- World Cup 2018: Our advice for beginners
- Which player will score the most goals in this year's World Cup?
- Cash Out - How to enjoy it during the World Cup
- 5 Great Highlights from the World Cup
- The Surprise Players to Watch in the 2018 World Cup
- World Cup: Who will be the top Scorer?
- World Cup: What is the betting on Brazil?
- World Cup: Who bets on Spain?
- World Cup 2018: How have the odds changed since the draw?
- World Cup forecast: Our Table
- World Cup Infographic - What You Need to Know!
- World Cup 2018: Best betting on Nigeria
- World Cup 2018: Which outsiders to bet on?
- World Cup 2018: All the best betting sites Offers and Promotions
- (Video) World Cup - A Look at England’s World Cup Hopes in Group G
- World Cup: What is the betting on Australia?